Author Topic: D16y7 swap w/ Hydro Trans into EF Chassis Swap Thread  (Read 5410 times)

Offline 91CrxSi

• n00b

• Activity
    0%
D16y7 swap w/ Hydro Trans into EF Chassis Swap Thread
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:37 pm »
Making this thread for all that are intereste d or want a Swap thread on swapping a newer 92-up D Series Engine and transmiss ion into Ed/Ef Chassis.

I'm starting out with a 1989 Crx Si 5 spd car. My Car is absolutel y stripped, the Car was B Series Swapped car so i am starting from scratch. That being said i will be using a '96 D16y7 and 5 speed hydraulic transmiss ion out of a 96 Civic lx. The d16y7 is a sohc non vtec engine. Very common to grab a hold of And pretty decent swap for Ed/Ef cars in stock form or as a good turbo build.

My car will be wired as to obd1 (for those that are new ef's are obd0) I am going obd1 because of the tuning availabil ities for ecu turbo tuning, and most other swaps if changed in the future.

For best results it is very easy to label ur bolts/ nuts/ wires plug connectio ns, this is recommend ed and makes things a lot easier when reassembl ing the car with new swap.

My car is a almost complete roller, as things that came out some did not return b/c B swap needed those parts.

With this swap u will use your factory speedo cable, throttle cable and clutch cable.

1st off i cleaned my motor up and looked for any oil leaks from pan etc and repaired them before installin g the engine into the car.

This is a list of required parts for obd1 wireing and swap into Ed/Ef:

d16y7 engine and transmiss ion bolted together
d16y8 intake and t/b
Crx Si stock engine harness
92-95 Eg axles
innovativ e cable to hydro motor mounts for EF-Part # 49151 (if ordered make sure to notify swapshopr acing that u are using 92-up engine as the position of the engine is slightly different then d16a6.)
d15b7 obd1 distribut or
obd0 to obd1 dizzy conversio n jumpers
0bd0 to obd1 jumper ecu harness
p06 92-95 civic lx 5 spd ecu
stock crx si shifter linkage
Stock motor mount bolts sides, rear, all

I started out today by finding out that HF harnesses some say are same as Si harnesses are not the same, some of the plugs are different and located on the opposite side of car then Si engine harness. Make sure that u have the correct harness can be a headache. Here is a link further explainin g the differenc es in Hf and Si harnesses . If going to do this swap and currently have a dpfi car u will 1st have to get a dpfi to mpfi conversio n harness and resister box, and other parts.

http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?t=2712198

Now that i have everythin g removed from the engine i started cleaning up the cross member and hard to reach areas of all the grease n grime for many many years.

it is highly recommend ed to have couple buddies and a good cherry picker, and if you have crank-able attachmen ts like me and help tilt the engine sideways to tuck transmiss ion in 1st and then level the engine back out. We removed the cross member passenger side brace for added clearance, The hydro adpater assembly is easy to install, and best to do when the engine and trans are still out of the car. As well as taking out the Radiator for the extra wiggle room and to be on safe side u dont knock a nice hole in the fins.

Today we went a head and installed the engine and transmiss ion, the motor mounts from innovativ e a nice and snug and quite nice quality set. At this when u go to do it, much easier to bolt in the rear mount when motor isn't in, that is how i did it and was a quick 3 bolt simple action. Here's Swap Shop general how 2 for the innovativ e mounts for those who need/ want extra guidance.

http://www.swapshopracing.com/contents/en-us/d849.html

i will post more pics of the mounts install of engine, etc. when i get my new camera.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:27:18 am by 91CrxSi »
1989 Honda Crx Si-D16y7 Swap/Turbo Project
1991 Honda Civic Wagon-Stock
1995 Honda Civic Coupe-B16 swap s4c trans, turbo'd w/ 10 psi
1997 Acura Integra Gs Coupe I/H/E...dropped n thats it nothing special

1994 Acura Integra Coupe parts car
1989 Honda Crx Si parts

Offline 91CrxSi

• n00b

• Activity
    0%
Re: D16y7 swap w/ Hydro Trans into EF Chassis Swap Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:14 pm »
today i picked up my eg axles as its raining cats and dogs and my cars outside right now with tons of crap in the shop things are postponed lil bit. I bought my axles from Napa b/c of their warranty heard many honda buddy do this if breaks get a new one and really no questions asked, at least in our lil town in pa.

When the rain quiets I'm going to get the car back in the garage and get some pics for you guys viewing all this. The innovativ e mounts there's a T bracket that come with the set of mounts and Hydro to cable adapters, The Swap Shop Racing site had a lil general install guide about the mounts and the way they bolt on and all. They had a note in there that you might have to modify the the rear cross member to get best fitments, on my car i didn't have to mod anything in the rear, however for more clearance up front we have removed the front D series mount bracket. Later on i'll be running a innovativ e tube cross member but for now as funds allow stock cross member is good enough, some have said u have to modify the front cross member for header clearance, i havent messed with installin g a header or anything to run N/a right now, i'll check that as well when back in the shop the header that will be test fitted w/ be on them cheap ebay jobs....s hould fit w/ no issues.

1989 Honda Crx Si parts

Offline cbeengineering

• Global Moderator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:13 am »
any OEM shaped header should fit fine.

Offline 91CrxSi

• n00b

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:36:20 am »
any OEM shaped header should fit fine.

I agree, i thought i add that just for sake of testing it, Swap shop told me when i ordered the mounts they had 2 customers in the past complain they couldn't fit their header, what they were running have no clue, figured i'd state it for that "just in case scenario" for guys running race headers or whatever crazy things they might have :) I'm sure the egay one will fit w/o issues its basically a tube version of stocker.

1989 Honda Crx Si parts

Offline Fulthrottlefreak

• Full Throttle Freak
  • I <3 My EF
  • Swag Wagon rolling

• Activity
    0%
    • Doug's Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:57 am »
I am doing this exact same swap Except i am using 93 DelSlo Si  Z6. Will all the wiring harness and conversio n harness recommend ations be the same? or will i need some different stuff?
89 Wagovan EE2,91 Si Hatch
H.E.A.R.T .