Author Topic: Cali/other emissions issues with swaps  (Read 2679 times)

Offline JokerTypeR

• Misplaced OG - USMC
  • JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
Cali/other emissions issues with swaps
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:15:30 am »
Ok, so as many of you know, I'm consideri ng getting back in the game. As expected, I already started looking around in the area I normally reside... Californi a. If I decide to build an EF, I'll want to swap it. I'm still deciding if I want it to be a street legal daily or if I would want to built a track toy...

In either case, I just may be dealing with a Californi a car. I know for a while Californi a had different emissions equipment than the "other" 48 states. Seeing as I'll be registere d in Georgia, still, I don't want to have to deal with a headache.

If I do this...ho w much crap would I (if any) be dealing with in this swap? What kind of headaches am I looking at? My dad worked on a 94 Talon cali car and he said that being in Georgia and trying to get parts (mainly, the ECU and cats) was a complete pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance for any heads up on this...
Remember kid, there are heroes & there are legends. Heroes get remembere d, but legends never die, follow your heart kid and you'll never go wrong. - The Babe

Offline Thundercat

• Duh, Winning!
  • Global Moderator
  • Steppin' it up!
  • Tuck'd & Swap'd

• Activity
    0%
    • Your lookin at it
Re: Cali/other emissions issues with swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:25:23 am »
ii don't think getting parts would be a problem main thing in that situation is to have

A:a stock cat and switch it on whenever you do emissions s
B:find a hookup on emissions
C:get a good tuner
~CREW LEGIT~JJ AUTOWERKS
~IMPORTALLIANCE.ORG~All IN FAB~BISIMOTO~

Offline JokerTypeR

• Misplaced OG - USMC
  • JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:45 am »
Well, I'd be registeri ng it in Warner Robins... which means no emissions . More what I'm concerned about is any bullshit I'll have to deal with to do a swap that WON'T get me a CEL. For example, let's just say Cali requires an additiona l o2 sensor, but the swap I wanna put in doesn't require it. Obviously, I'm not going to hook it up if I don't have to. But that would get me a CEL.

I don't know if I'm doing that great at explainin g this...Lo L
Remember kid, there are heroes & there are legends. Heroes get remembere d, but legends never die, follow your heart kid and you'll never go wrong. - The Babe

Offline Bus Driver J

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:45:34 pm »
If the car is registere d in GA, it doesnt matter what Cali has to say. You dont "live" there, you are military. If anything, abide by sound ordinance s and keep a cat on it just so you dont get fucked with that much. With EFs, you can easily swap it an not have a CEL. Its once you get into OBD1 and 2 may you get into issues.

You have to think about the whole "what cali wants" like this. If you live there and your car is titled/registered there, you must do what they say. If you"live" elsewhere and its titled/registered in another state, fuck them. You are a visitor. 
Quote from: cbeengineering
trying to be cool by having a "ole skoo" car, I guess.

Offline JDMJAYDC2

• Global Moderator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:40:15 pm »
If the car is registere d in GA, it doesnt matter what Cali has to say. You dont "live" there, you are military. If anything, abide by sound ordinance s and keep a cat on it just so you dont get fucked with that much. With EFs, you can easily swap it an not have a CEL. Its once you get into OBD1 and 2 may you get into issues.

You have to think about the whole "what cali wants" like this. If you live there and your car is titled/registered there, you must do what they say. If you"live" elsewhere and its titled/registered in another state, fuck them. You are a visitor. 

qft this is the honest old school bdj right here

do i hear project shadow 2.0!!!

-banana peelin timing belts since 09

Quote from: rbwdriven
Dare said the gaskets work wonders as long as you don't start the car.

Offline JokerTypeR

• Misplaced OG - USMC
  • JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »
You just may... With gas prices peeking its head up in the mid 4$ range, I've already chosen an apartment closer to base to save on gas costs, and now I'm consideri ng a bike...OR a car. Seeing as Shadow brought about the same gas mileage as a bike, can carry people/stuff, be driven in rain (on the rare occasion. ..) and is more comfortab le...it's highly considera ble. Jenn really likes the Edge, it seems, so it may be kept. So she'll have her nice vehicle taking up most of the available funds that I'm allowing for a car note. So I'll pick up something less reliable. ..like a project car and probably a mid-90's 4x4 4runner that I can beat the living shit out of and not give a damn, as well as haul a boat (toys are inbound.. .)

Back to the OP, though, if I do another swap (which I would...c uz I know me), I will go OBD1, again. This means emissions do come into play. I just wanna make sure that when I do this swap I can forget about the emissions seeing as I'd swap ecu, motor, trans, and then some wiring (obd0-1). Good to know...an d now back to looking over shells and possible projects. However, I'm still not off the fence over a 240/260z vs an EF. The idea of a 2000-2004 Legacy is out due to the cost of engines alone for a swap, and the IS250 is out due to keeping the Edge.

Offline JDMJAYDC2

• Global Moderator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:26:26 pm »
well when you make up your mind and its about a 88-91 civic ill open this back up lol

-banana peelin timing belts since 09

Quote from: rbwdriven
Dare said the gaskets work wonders as long as you don't start the car.

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:27:24 pm »
Oh crap here comes the ban hammer.

Watch out Ben. !

Offline JokerTypeR

• Misplaced OG - USMC
  • JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:37:41 am »
Can that guy do that? Geez, next thing you know he'll be in my browser poppin' up eyes over the screen and voicing "bullshit! That's not an EF!"

IF (when) I choose the EF, there's still decisions to be made. I like the CRx...alw ays have. But I'd have to try to find a JDM rear seat which seems next to impossibl e to put the wee little one. However, the hatchback, which I've built before, has room for cargo...a nd carseat.

Once I make this decision I have to decide over JDM-nice, USDM sleeper, or track-toy. Keeping in mind...bu dget-friendly build with gas-friendly swap. Which brings the next question. ..go back to the LS and put eyes on a turbo? Buy something already swapped? ZC? D-series sleeper? Or the oh-so-common b16?

So many decisions ...only so much time.

But again, the biggest factor in all of this is still my daughter and how much time SHE allows me to actually build the car. You've seen the duo, Jermaine. ..you know what I'm up against!

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:42:21 am »
Ben,

I have a son and a daughter.  They technical ly help me with my builds.  My hatch had their hand prints on the back of the car on the middle panel.

My wagon my son again helped me drop the engine in the car.

Son is 7 and daughter is 4.

As far as I know the jdm back seat is illegal to have a kid in the back seat in the crx.  I've got the jdm back seat but never put a kid back there.  I've had my rotty back there with my son in the front.

Rich

Offline JokerTypeR

• Misplaced OG - USMC
  • JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 06:53:34 am »
I hope my daughter turns into that...sh e is only 9months right now, though, so her little hands can't do too much, and the wife has absolutel y zero interest in cars below about 60k$, sooo...I don't know. I can hope.

Props for the informati on on the back seat in the rex. Definitel y good to know, and it's not something I had a clue about.