Author Topic: EFTovi's EF Hatch Build......Round 2  (Read 4123 times)

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
EFTovi's EF Hatch Build......Round 2
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:26:39 am »
What's up everyone, I haven't been on this forum in years but some of you may remember my old black si on work equip 03's that I wrecked. Well fast forward about 3 years later and I'm back in my favorite chassis.

I've actually known of this car for some time, It just happened to pop up right after I sold my integra shell for 1300 so I went to check it out.  What really appealed to me was that it was basically an si (interior, harnesses) and it had a B16a in it. I didn't care for the B16 because I had my GSR swap from my integra still but what really drew me to it was it was B swap ready.

Back to checking it out, I initially walked away from the deal but couldn't stop thinking about it and offered to pick it up that night but sadly he had a buyer lined up. My heart sank when I heard this. I was kicking myself in the butt for this because ef's in my area are overprice d like crazy.  Well luckily he texted me late the next day and said the buyer backed out so I went after work and drove my new ef home for 1000 dollars.

Heres some info on it:
91 dx, Saxony blue
Overheati ng b16a with grinding y1 trans (it was stressful getting it home)
si interior
rear speaker pods
skunk2 springs, kyb struts
so far that's all I really know

When I got it home:
unnamed by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Notice the top of the hatch bent up, I went to pop the hatch to see how bad it interfere d and this happened:
cracked hinge by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I was stressing over this cause where was I going to find a hatch hinge? luckily a hatch just happened to be getting parted out right after this happened and I picked up hinges along with other goodies for 100 bucks:
ef parts 2 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
ef parts by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Went ahead and changed the hatch/hinges:
hatch removed by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
new hinge by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
hatch on by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I found time to start pulling the b16 and got it out in about a total of 5 hours by myself:
pulling b16 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

This came out a lot easier than expected:
Linkage pin by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Motor out, I've already removed everythin g I needed from this engine to put onto the gsr:
pulling b16 2 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
engine out by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
b16 crate by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I went to pull the ecu to find out what it was running and found out I had hondata. It's in a p72 but its s100, still pretty cool to find out I have it.

I decided I was going to clean up the bay and respray it to give it a cleaner oem look when finished.  I haven't gotten to the painting part yet but I have put in some elbow grease. 
Before:
empty by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

after, not too noticeabl e but itll get there:
bay after by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

How she currently sits:
stripped by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Then tonight I decided to mess with my gsr swap a little. I removed the trans (hydeo b16) to get it ready for the cable b16 trans. I picked that up from a buddy for 200.  I also changed the oil pan gasket while I was at it but didn't take any pics. Here it is after removing the trans:
gsr b16 trans by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

yes that is an old lawn mower, it's very useful. 

The build will be a slow one. I want to do everythin g right the first time with this. I rushed all my other cars and I think that's what makes me get bored with them. So for I'm about 2 weeks into owning this one and I love it. Let me know what you guys think.

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
Re: EFTovi's EF Hatch Build......Round 2
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:58 pm »
pretty cool color on the hatch.

looks like good progress so far.

I've ripped mine apart once so far.  was lots of rigging by P.O.

then found another one in Tennessee in a storage unit and bought that.

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:06:44 am »
Thanks man, and talk about some rigged stuff. There's so many wires that are going all over the place on this car but I guess you get what you pay for. As long as the main wiring component s aren't touched I'll be alright.

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:59:42 pm »
Yeah mine was worked on by an air line mechanic.

I have exhaust tube holding up my suspensio n.

Plumbing fittings hold up passenger seat.

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:04:15 pm »
Alright, I have some updates from the past couple days that I've been able to work on the car.

I went and tried out a junkyard called LKQ and I have to say they have the cleanest junkyard I've ever seen.  I didn't  take any pics of the cars there but most where complete. I was able to find a 91 sedan with all the A/C component s still intact. Exactly what I was looking for:
7 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I was able to pull everythin g off but the upper hose but I ordered a new one from majestic Honda.

Then I started running out of stuff to do since I finished pulling my motor and have no parts to put it in so I decided to give body work a shot.  This is my first time ever messing with bondo so some spots I laid either too much or not enough down but its all a learning experienc e.

this is the worst dent, I managed to pop most of It out before laying down bondo:
8 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
11 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I also got my rear hatch wiper delete plug in, its a pain to put on:
5 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
6 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Now lately its been like 96 degrees over here with a heat index in the 100's so I haven't had much motivatio n to go out and finish the body work. I decided I would start prepping my gsr swap to put into the car.  I started with the clutch since I went from a hydro b16 trans to a cable 90-91 b16 trans:
2 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
1 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I got that done and mated it to the block:
4 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

tucked away until my next day off to mess with it:
3 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Now I have to clean it (again), this time im not sure If im going to paint it like I did last time I did when I put it in my integra. I also have to put the harness on and wait for things like my mounts to come in.

I also got my steering wheel in, this has been my favorite part of the build so far:
spoon 2 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

This is my second spoon gen 2 wheel and it is by far my favorite. I sold my first one and bought a nardi and hated It so I had to get another.

More updates as I get more parts in.

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:24 pm »
lots of good progress.

I totally agree with the heat.

I've not been motivated to do anything on mine, plus also goign out of town for two weeks on work slowed mine down.

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:32:24 pm »
Thanks man, and yea the heat is just frustrati ng. I wish I had an air condition ed garage.

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:30:09 pm »
Well I have an update. I've been lazy to update but here we go, I got some more parts.

First things first was my shifter setup. I wanted a fastline shifter but settled for a ktuned one. I also got my cam seal and bushings:
16 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Put my carbing knob on it to see how it feels:
17 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

All assembled on my innovativ e linkage:
13 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I love oem Honda parts but not the oem Honda price tag. BUT this almost completes my ac stuff, I just need a bracket now:
14 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
12 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Then I got some paint from paint wizard. I gave it a shot to paint my bay since im not looking for a show car. I just wanted to clean it up cause it was terrible before:
20 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Laid down the primer:
21 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Then some paint and clear. It could've been a lot better but like I said it's hot here and it's really irritatin g. don't worry about the bolts and stuff that was painted over, I plan on replacing those:
 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I put on my cam seal also, probably one of the easiest things to do. I was so intimidat ed before.  I also put gasket maker when I replaced it if anyone is planning on doing the same:
23 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

One of the most convenien t tools ive ever bought lol:
24 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Boom:
25 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

This chassis is such a pain in the butt to drop a motor in but I did it.  Now to finish up the motor and rebuild my suspensio n.

I have goodies on the way but first things first is to replace these balljoint s. Mine were DESTROYED:
27 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

More updates as I decide on what I want to do and get more parts.

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:40:31 pm »
damn dude.  I have not done s@#$.

But been buying parts.

Where did you get that cool tool.

I like that.

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:10:32 pm »
Haha ive been trying to get it at least on the ground soon, I literally spend all day when I'm off fooling with it. It only needs like 5 more pieces to actually be running, I'm just saving right now cause I may possibly be putting money down on a car.

And the digital torque wrench converter is from harbor freight. Its really cool, it give fast beeps when the torque you want is getting close and one loud beep when the torque spec has been met.

Offline Black R

• DirtyWang
  • I <3 My EF

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 07:05:02 pm »
How much was that little digital tq wrench?

Nice build so far.

Offline EFTovi

• JDM Wannabe

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:49 am »
I got that tool for 30 dollars.  Sorry for the lack of updates, Im going to just get straight to it.

After I got my motor in I ordered parts I needed to wrap up the swap (header, traction bar, cat):
29 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I also found out I have an invidia exhaust:
31 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Here it is installed:
28 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
32 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Ground clearance is terrible but its ok, at least it has a skid plate:
30 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

So after I got it all together I tried starting It and it wouldn't start.  I was getting spark but no fuel.  So I changed my fuel pump with a walboro 255 and still nothing.  I also tried a new distribut or, ecu, and converted my injectors to obd1. Still nothing.  I was pulling code 16 which is fuel injector system and I tried everythin g but a new harness. So incomes the rywire:
33 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

They have EXTREMELY fast shipping, I ordered it sunday and got it on Wednesday .  Usually parts coming from Californi a take 5 days to get here.

Harness installed:
34 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
35 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

Now this harness cleared code 16 for me. Now im getting fuel and spark but no start.  So I had a buddy whose building a k20 da come check it out and we figured it out. Problem? I did have enough gas in the tank..... ........ Needless to say I will never forget to check my gas.

Now I just had to reassembl e.  I put my progress cs2's on and my kosei k1's and put it on all fours.  The Progress made it way too low but it looked cool for a picture:
36 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
41 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

And now its basically all reassembl ed:
43 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
42 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

I tried to clean up my bay as best as I could. I removed most of my EVAP stuff since Tennessee doesn't check for it to clean up the bay some.  Its currently my favorite thing about this car. the b18c1 sits so nicely in it:
39 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
40 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr
38 by Tovi Aphayavon g, on Flickr

And for now shes done.  Im getting quotes on paint and after that I'm not sure what I have planned.  It has a couple of small issues, main one is the cooling fan doesn't kick on.  But overall I'm just glad that its back on the ground.  I have a date (oct 10) that I want to at least have it painted by but we will see how it goes.

Offline rbwdriven

• Administrator
  • Steppin' it up!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:31 pm »
That came on quick.

I need to get motivated on mine.

Offline Black R

• DirtyWang
  • I <3 My EF