Author Topic: Need something to do in June?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Straightsix

• JDM Wannabe
  • Track rat

• Activity
    0%
Need something to do in June?
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:25:53 pm »

5300 Winder Highway,
Braselton, Georgia 30517

High Performan ce Driving Event
- HPDE 1
- HPDE 2
- HPDE 3
- HPDE 4
Time Trials

SpecE30, SpecMiata, 944Spec, American Iron/CMC, Honda Challenge, GTS Challenge, Performan ce Touring, Super Touring, Super Unlimited
Thunder and Lightning Sprint races
3 hr Enduro

For details:
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2009Jun12.jsp

Offline LopRacer

• n00b

• Activity
    0%
Re: Need something to do in June?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:34 pm »
It's too much fun. I cannot encourage you all enough to try out the HPDE program and get out on track.

Offline zorjin

• EF Fan
  • EF'n like a boss!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:43:52 am »
doood. i wanna get my car out on the track.. ive never done one of these before but this sounds perfect.. .

what event do you think i should do.. i have no idea on this racing lingo

Offline Straightsix

• JDM Wannabe
  • Track rat

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:57:24 am »
IMO, it's better to do your first HPDE at an event other than Road Atlanta.  With us, NASA-SE, Road Atlanta is our most popular event.  Also, the track has quite a few blind turns and that increases the learning curve; it's also not the most forgiving track, i.e. the walls are close in some parts of the track.  But, at the same time Road Atlanta is a fantastic track and a lot of people around the Atlanta area do RA for their first event.

Oh, and HPDE is *not* racing.  You'll learn how to drive your car at much closer to the car's limits in an environme nt that won't result in jail time. 

I usually recommend Carolina Motorspor ts Park for a first HPDE event.  The track flows fairly well and there's lots of runoff room.  I think we'll be there next in November.  But, in all honesty, if you don't drive over your head and listen to your instructo r, the result is usually lots of fun and you learn a lot too.

Check out http://nasaproracing.com for more info on NASA and to become a NASA member.  You'll have to be a member to participa te.  If you want to get a feel for what we do come out to either the May 30th-31st event at Barber Motorspor ts Park (a two hour drive from Atlanta) or to the June RA date.  If you have any other questions, please ask!  Either LopRacer or myself can talk about NASA-SE events.

Offline zorjin

• EF Fan
  • EF'n like a boss!

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 01:49:13 am »
IMO, it's better to do your first HPDE at an event other than Road Atlanta.  With us, NASA-SE, Road Atlanta is our most popular event.  Also, the track has quite a few blind turns and that increases the learning curve; it's also not the most forgiving track, i.e. the walls are close in some parts of the track.  But, at the same time Road Atlanta is a fantastic track and a lot of people around the Atlanta area do RA for their first event.

Oh, and HPDE is *not* racing.  You'll learn how to drive your car at much closer to the car's limits in an environme nt that won't result in jail time. 

I usually recommend Carolina Motorspor ts Park for a first HPDE event.  The track flows fairly well and there's lots of runoff room.  I think we'll be there next in November.  But, in all honesty, if you don't drive over your head and listen to your instructo r, the result is usually lots of fun and you learn a lot too.

Check out http://nasaproracing.com for more info on NASA and to become a NASA member.  You'll have to be a member to participa te.  If you want to get a feel for what we do come out to either the May 30th-31st event at Barber Motorspor ts Park (a two hour drive from Atlanta) or to the June RA date.  If you have any other questions, please ask!  Either LopRacer or myself can talk about NASA-SE events.

well the reason i was intereste d is because RA is like 15 minutes away from my house... so what do you do during an hpde course? im still kinda confused on that

Offline Straightsix

• JDM Wannabe
  • Track rat

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:28 am »
well the reason i was intereste d is because RA is like 15 minutes away from my house... so what do you do during an hpde course? im still kinda confused on that

During an HPDE session, you will drive on track with an instructo r.  Your instructo r will help you learn how to drive on race track, where the driving line is on the track ( "the line" is the path taken around a track that is fastest), and track etiquette

Offline LopRacer

• n00b

• Activity
    0%
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:44:21 am »

If you are still curious about how the HPDE system works you can always come by the June Road Atl event and see what it is all about. I think there is a small gate fee to get into the track maybe $10 and you can come see what it is all about as  a spectator . In addition to having an in car instructo r during HPDE1 you also will have several class room sessions with our class room instructo r during the weekend where more of the track terminolo gy and driving is discussed .
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:47:05 am by LopRacer »